A huge trend cropping up all over YouTube is the 24-hour room transformation challenge. Unlike other home improvement vlogs, these intense and often hilarious videos highlight the ups and downs of revamping a room in just one day.
If you are looking to take on this room makeover challenge, go for it, and then post your results on YouTube for the whole world to enjoy.
However, maybe you're just looking for a few creative ways to add some extra flair to your room without a lengthy time commitment. If you're transforming a room in a short a period of time, here are a few tips to get you going.
Forethought and Planning
Whether you're taking on the infamous 24-hour room challenge or you just need to get your room decorated stat, your first step will have to be planning. Now, this may be cheating, but planning out your room doesn't have to be included in the 24 hours you take to get it done. During this phase, you'll want to:
- Measure the room so you know what size furniture, window fixtures or other decorative features you need
- Make a Pinterest board of all the things you love
- Choose your color palette, including one lead color
- Make a list of what needs to be done during your 24-hours
- Plot out where things are going to go in the room
Out With the Old
If you're revamping your room, then it may be time to throw out, recycle or donate some outdated items. Whether it's old furniture that has seen better days or odds and ends that are just collecting dust, you'll feel lighter once they're out of the room.
Rearrange, Revamp and Reorganize
Transformation doesn't mean you have to change everything. After all, purchasing everything brand spanking new would be extremely time consuming and expensive. Ask yourself what simple steps you could take to add new interest to the pieces you already have.
Many of the items in your existing room probably deserve a new lease on life. Rearrange furniture or mix up a shelf display. Pick a new spot for certain decor to help the room feel fresh or add a new stain or coat of paint to existing furniture
Cover It Up
Covering your existing furniture or living space is the easiest way to make it look brand new:
- Add a reversible slipcover to your sofa so that you can change the color from one side to the other depending on the seasons — such as blue in the winter and white linen in the summer. Finish the look with some fun and vibrant throw pillows to give it a pop of color.
- Buy a new table runner or placemats for your dining room table to give it a whole new feel. A fresh and exciting centerpiece is also a great way to enliven the look and give it a modern touch.
- Instead of buying all new lighting, take your lamps to the store and find new shades in colors you wouldn't normally choose. This will give your room incredible visual interest.
- A brand new area rug is another simple method of covering up old flooring. Whether its outdated carpet or old laminate, a rug can breathe new life into any space.
DIY Projects You Can Complete in an Afternoon
Now that your room is almost complete, it's time to roll up your sleeves and personalize the space even further with a few quick DIY projects. As you look at the space, be sure to pick your do-it-yourself ideas with care. If you're keeping within the time crunch, you'll need to pick projects that provide maximum interest in the shortest amount of time.
Our top picks include changing the room's wall color or adding elegant crown molding. Painting is one of the quickest and cheapest ways to transform a room. A new color totally updates a room's tone and takes no time at all if you have a deft hand with paint.
While traditional crown molding is by no means a DIY project, with Crown Molding Kits from Focal Point Products, you don't need experience or tools to add a touch of elegance to any room needing a makeover. Plus, since these kits make it easy to do your own crown molding installation in an afternoon, you'll be well within the time constraints of your 24-hour challenge.