Dramatically boost the worth of your home by making small, cost-effective changes to your living space. You may be a homeowner looking to sell your property at the best possible price, or maybe you're a first-time homeowner who doesn't have the budget for a full-scale renovation yet. You may even be a homeowner who wants to make a few unique changes to add lasting value to your home.
Your ultimate goal is to gain the maximum return on investment in the least amount of time. DIY projects can help to accomplish the look you want while staying within your budget. Whatever your circumstances are for renovating, here are a few cost-effective home improvement tips to increase the value of your home. Here are some of the best home improvement projects to increase value.
1. Create a Plan
With a plan, you can affordably renovate your home and have peace of mind in the process. Keep your budget and goals in mind as you craft a plan for tackling your renovation projects. Ask yourself these questions to help formulate your plan:
- Why are you renovating? Are you selling your house and need to plan ways to increase home value, or are you looking to enhance the comfortable ambiance of your new home? Consult with your real estate agent or a contractor to discuss how to make your dreams a reality.
- Should I sell my home or remodel my home for myself? If you want to sell your home, estimate the costs to buy a new home, including the agent fees, moving costs and the value of your new home. Remodeling your home and staying in your current living space may be a better option for you if you like your neighborhood. Make your current home whatever you want without moving.
- What renovations need to be done? Consulting with a home inspector is also a good resource to help you create your plan. Whether you are putting your house on the market or want to add your own charm to your home, a home inspector will help you figure out what repairs are necessary. Hire a home inspector before you put your house on the market so you will not be surprised at closing.
2. Apply a Fresh Coat of Paint
Paint makes the walls in your home look brand new. Painting your walls is easy, affordable and massively valuable. All you need is a few gallons of paint and a handful of rollers, tapes, brushes and drop cloths.
Focus on redeeming walls with old wallpaper, undesirable colors — like violet or dark brown — or faded paint. You can also paint cabinets, drawers, furniture and other features that might need a refresh. Most people prefer colors like beige, select shades of gray and even light blue!
According to modern trends, when selling a home, pick a neutral color other than dark brown or terracotta. If you are not planning on moving, paint your walls a color that makes you happy.
3. Small Details Matter
The seemingly insignificant changes could dramatically transform the appearance of your home. Make a list of cheap ways to increase your home value if you plan to sell or a list of upgrades that you want to add your own personal touch to your living space. Try to tackle one upgrade a month if you have a limited budget.
- Replace the knobs of kitchen cabinets and doors. Make your home look like new by replacing the knobs in your kitchen cabinets. Think of the overall style of your home and choose cabinet hardware to fit your theme. As well as on your kitchen cabinets, replace the doorknobs on your closet, bedroom and bathroom doors.
- Fix loose wires and leaky faucets. Hire an electrician or plumber to spruce up your home by checking for loose wires, faulty outlets and water leaks. If you're selling your home, invest the extra couple of hours to investigate these small details. Potential homebuyers will appreciate the care you've put into your home.
- Update your flooring. Flooring is a huge selling point for potential homebuyers. You can easily replace flooring in a short weekend. To save money, consider investing in an area rug to cover stains rather than replacing your carpet altogether.
- Deep clean your home. A clean home is attractive to potential buyers. Stay on top of maintenance issues so you will not have to pay for expensive emergency repairs later. Clean up spills right away to prevent mold and stains. Even if you are staying in your current home, a clean home promotes a happier, healthier environment for your family. Make deep cleaning the home a family activity.
To be successful and have a clear head during the process, take your time and tackle one room at a time. As you make your plan, figure out how much each item on your to-do list will cost. Only make renovations when you are ready and when you feel like you are in control of the process.
4. Update Your Home's Lighting
The purpose of having lighting in your home is to make your living space brighter and easier to see. Adding light to your home makes it look more spacious by creating more depth to your rooms. Proper outdoor lighting also increases your home's safety and attracts potential homebuyers.
Make your light fixtures modern and useful, and update your light switches. Consider adding attractive light fixtures like a chandelier. If you have a light fixture with a fan, you could replace the fan blades at an affordable cost.
5. Modify Your Curb Appeal
Look outside your home and discover what feelings your home gives you. If your home is lacking in curb appeal, consider what you need to do to attract potential buyers to your doorstep. A potential homebuyer will decide whether or not to buy your home based on how they feel when they park on your street.
Create a great first impression by renovating your front entry. Do something as simple as painting the front door, or buy a new door if you can afford it. The value of your home will dramatically improve, and your new door will invite your guests to come inside and make memories.
Paint your front door with a finish so that it looks like wood, even if it is made of steel. Maybe add a doorbell, doorknob or even a knocker to add to the charm of your front door. Paint your front door red to attract the eye to the center of your house.
While decks and porches will cost you a decent amount of money, you can enhance your home's exterior with some selective landscaping modifications. If you have pre-existing garden beds, you can plant some low-maintenance greenery to appeal to more people. Focus on shrubs and other colorful plants that flourish in your region, as many folks might be turned off by temperamental flora that has specific requirements.
Revitalize your lawn, too, either by hiring a landscaping service or installing beautiful turf grass. Keep your lawn free of weeds and dead plants. Plant a few new flowers around the front of your home, including your walkway, to add color to your exterior.
You could also plant a tree in your yard, which could pay off later if you decide to sell down the road. In particular, a shade tree, if properly treated and positioned, can be beautiful and practical for your home — they can cut your cooling costs by as much as 40%.
6. Renovate Your Kitchen on a Budget
The kitchen is the first place potential homebuyers go during an open house. They love to imagine cooking and socializing with their friends and family in their new home. Renovate your kitchen to increase your home's value and make a better entertainment space for your guests.
Spend a couple of hundred dollars to invest in a kitchen faucet set, new door handles and lighting fixtures. If you have the extra money to spend, paint the cabinets to look brand new.
Renovate the kitchen affordably by replacing the appliances in your kitchen, especially if your appliances are all different colors. For consistency, choose neutral colors like white or stainless steel. Matching appliances are attractive to potential homebuyers and will give your home a sense of order.
Brightly-colored appliances will stand out among your other appliances. You could use this to your advantage by creating a focal point and changing the color or finish of one of your appliances. Instead of buying new appliances, buy replacement parts that match the color of your kitchen.
7. Renovate Your Bedroom on a Budget
Your bedroom is where you go to relax and unwind after the excitement of the day is over. With planning and inspiration, you can transform your whole room in 24 hours. Upgrade your bedroom with new bedding, fun light fixtures and creative storage space.
Your bed is the focal point of the room. Make it look nice and inviting after a long day of work. Buy high-quality bedding at an affordable price by visiting your local department store.
Update the light fixtures to add depth and increase visibilityin your bedroom. Minimize clutter, especially on your nightstand. Add a closet to make a room out of your den or basement.
8. Renovate Your Bathroom on a Budget
The bathroom is another selling point for potential homebuyers. Your house guests love to feel like they are at a spa. A modern bathroom will give your guests the peaceful feeling that they crave and will be more calming for you and your family.
Touching up the bathroom with features as simple as replacing the toilet seat and updating your bathroom floor tile will make your bathroom more attractive. Give your bathroom a makeover by adding vanity cabinets and changing out your toilet.
Re-grout the tile in your tub and shower, or invest in a prefabricated tub and shower surround. Clean your bathroom regularly, as bathrooms tend to grow mold due to moisture from the shower and sinks.
Adding marble or granite countertops to your bathroom is cheaper than installing it in the kitchen because bathrooms are typically smaller. Install heated flooring to wow your guests and keep your feet warm on those cold winter nights.
9. Add Creative Storage Space and Closets
Older houses are typically known for having limited closet space. Design your own closet system online or at a local home improvement store. With proper organization, your closets can provide you with more storage and allow you to customize your space how you choose.
If you'd rather, invest in shelving to add more storage space to your home. Purchase shelving for easy setup, or set up a weekend project to create your own shelving. Creating mail and paperwork caddies is a relatively quick project for even more storage.
Hide clutter by creating unique storage solutions in your home. Rather than piling boxes in your living room, make a closet that will store your possessions and create a clean living space. Your guests will love a creative storage space to store their luggage.
10. Install Crown Molding Throughout Your Home
Crown molding adds a wow-factor to your home, making any room look taller. Crown molding can make a room stand out by framing it and adding detail. It's incredibly flexible, as you can apply variations of it throughout your home in different ways.
Real molding, typically made from solid wood and plaster, is quite expensive due to the material, the skill necessary to craft it and the time it takes to install. It's frustrating and by no means practical, and its disadvantages may cancel out the value it carries. However, there's a better way to gain those advantages without torturing yourself.
Doing your own crown molding is easy when you have the right tools and Focal Point's DIY Crown Molding. Our DIY crown molding installation kit makes increasing the value of your home much easier.
Our patented Quick ClipsTM system needs just one screw per clip and holds our polyurethane molding securely. The Moulding MatesTM connectors cover seams and allow you up to 3 inches of error when cutting the molding pieces, so you don't need to worry about precise cuts, mitering corners or trying to disguise joins.
Focal Point Products produces multiple lines of faux crown molding, which emulates the look of genuine pieces while remaining cost-efficient, easy to install and visually appealing. Our system consists of clips and panels, which you can install in a single afternoon. You can even paint the molding panels to match any look you want.
Use Our DIY Crown Molding Kits to Affordably Renovate Your Living Space!
At Focal Point Products, we sell crown molding kits that have everything a DIYer needs to install crown molding in their home. Our DIY kits are easy to use and are more efficient than complicated wood crown molding. We guarantee that our products will be free from any defects for a period of one year from the date of purchase.
We offer free shipping for our DIY molding installation kits. Our high-quality crown molding can be easily painted and easily installed using minimal tools. Buy one of our DIY crown molding installation kits today!